Having been a Naturopathic Doctor in downtown Toronto for just shy of 20 years, I'm seeing lots of my previous fertility patients come back to discuss perimenopause or menopause. It's such an honour for me to get to help people through the different phases of life. Because I've had an influx of people wanting to discuss perimenopause, I thought that I should send out a bit of info on it.
What is perimenopause?
- It is defined as the time around or leading up to menopause.
- It can last 5+ years, and usually starts your the mid-late 40s.
- The average age of menopause is 51.5 years old, so leading up to this it's common to see changes.
What are the most common symptoms of perimenopause?
- Weight gain - or the inability to lose weight - is the most common reason people are reaching out to me.
- Changes in the menstrual cycle - menses can become shorter, longer, heavier, lighter, more or less painful, etc. What I'm trying to say is that anything goes during this phase!
- Hot flashes
- Sleep changes
- Vaginal dryness
- Mood changes
What do I do if I'm experiencing these symptoms?
- Make an appointment to come and see me :)
- There are lots of herbs and vitamins and diet/lifestyle changes (as well as bioidentical hormones if need be) that can help with all of the symptoms that may come along with the perimenopausal phase.