Dr. Morgan Winton, ND
Cold & Flu Prevention
With autumn officially here in Toronto, I start thinking about cold & flu prevention and I think you should be too! Whether you get the flu vaccine or not, it's important to work on your immune system and decrease the spread of germs so that we don't fall ill to every cold and flu running around the office or your child's school. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Wash your hands - this is so simple but so effective! Make sure you take your rings off before you wash your hand so that germs don't get stuck under them. Also make sure that you're washing for at least 20 seconds (which I don't think most people do).
2. Cough or sneeze into your elbow - there are great new health campaigns to educate people about this. If you cough into your hand, then everything that you subsequently touch will get your cold or flu germs on it.
3. Drink lots of water - keeping hydrated can help your mucous membranes stay healthy and not get tiny cracks to let bacteria in.
4. Take probiotics - these good bacteria found in yogurt have also been shown to help boost your immune system.
5. See your Naturopath - there are many other herbs and vitamins that can help prevent illness this winter. Please don't hesitate to come in so we can discuss what's right for you specifically!