Braised Beans & Greens
I sure am happy to be a little bit out of lockdown in Toronto, and happy that it's not so frigid too! I guess those are things for my gratitude jar today :)
I've been doing really well at planning & cooking meals lately (or I completely drop the ball and we get take out). This was a new recipe I tried that was a family favourite (even with my 11 year old and my McDonalds loving husband). It's full of fibre & nutrients, and is super budget friendly. I really enjoy cooking most of the time, and love sharing good healthy recipes. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
This recipe is slightly adapted from the New York Times - Braised Beans & Greens
1/8 cup olive oil
1 small fennel bulb - diced, trimmed, cored and small-diced
1 small yellow onion - diced, small-diced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary and/or thyme
5 garlic cloves - minced
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 large bunch of kale
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Saute onion and fennel in olive oil until softened. Add garlic and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and stir it all together until the kale is wilted
- Add in red pepper flakes
- Add cannellini beans & broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add lemon juice & grated parmesan just before serving
I served it with some homemade bread - but it could be eaten on its own or with some gluten free crackers if that's more your style!